Thursday, August 16, 2012

Forest for the Trees Coptic Bound Book

Trees. Being from the state with the greatest forested area aside from Alaska, I appreciate them.  I hug them.  I rest under them.  I sometimes even take pieces of them that have been pulped, strained, pressed, bleached, and cut, and make books out of them.  Sometimes I even make books out of trees, that have trees printed on them.


For this journal, I thought I'd make a nice Coptic-style chainstitch binding.  This type of binding allows the book to lie completely flat when open, nice for a fat book like a bible (what it was invented for), but also good for a sketchbook or reference book.


I experimented with a couple things while making this book: a specific folding pattern for putting the cover papers on (which I like) and the use of cotton embroidery thread for sewing books, which I do not like.  Doing this project has given me a new appreciation for waxed linen thread, which peaked about the 15th time that I had to splice my thread back together.


This book is for sale!  Due to the stitching, I've decided to sell it at cost: $4.00 + s/h on Etsy.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment