Saturday, March 16, 2013

Penguin Sketchbook

I haven't made many books lately, I know. Life has been very uncooperative the last couple of months. I have made a couple of books, but due to errors they weren't going to be very sellable, or something I wanted to show off. But finally it's coming back together and I've had time to make a book or two.



This sketchbook cover is made from a poster from a puzzle box, given to me by my girlfriend. The paper unfortunately has crease marks from where it was folded, but other than that it's a great cover. I love penguins.



I learned a lot about my new book construction technique by doing this book. The process of gluing the covers together with bookcloth, gluing the codex in, then gluing on the inner covers and end leaves takes a lot more precision than I realized at first, and indeed I glued it all in wrong the first time, resulting in the codex spine folding where I didn't want it to fold and my having to disassemble and re-glue it.



The end result though, after two tries, is very nice. I quite like the double bookcloth cover, kind of reminiscent of a double matte for a painting. It's sewn together nicely, and quite sturdy.






This book is for sale! Buy it on Etsy today! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment